Sunday, August 31, 2014

Noland Creek - Springhouse Branch - Forney Creek - Whiteoak Branch - Lakeshore - Goldmine

Date: 8/30/2014
Distance: 24.5 miles!
New Map Miles: 17.2
Total Map Miles: 502.6

I spent a LONG day over in the Lakeshore area getting lots of new miles.  The day started with a very long drive over to the "Tunnel to nowhere" on Lakeview drive.  I left the house about 7:10 and arrived about 9:40.  I went through Gatlinburg even though the GPS suggested the "Dragon".  After gearing up, I hopped on the bike and coasted down the hill to the Noland Creek Trail (0.6mi).  After locking up the bike, I set out on my marathon hike at about 9:50.  I started by turning right on the Noland Creek trail.  The 1 mile section to the left was left for later.  Noland Creek is an old gravel road that looked as if it has been used lately.  There isn't much elevation change, so this 4.1 mile section went quickly.


 At the Springhouse Branch Trail, I took a left and the climbing began in earnest.  The trail is 7 miles long and goes from about 2000' to about 4000' and then back to 2000' during that time.


 At the highest elevation, I was on a ridge which had some cool breezes which felt great as I was really hot and sweaty.  At least at the higher elevation, the bugs had calmed down a bit.


 At the end of Springhouse was a large campground which had this old chimney in the middle.



From here I turned right and went up Forney Creek to Jonas Creek (1.1mi each way).  I'm not sure I'd want to hike this section in a rain storm as it was obvious that parts of it turn into a river in bad weather.  On this day, it was just rocky in sections.


 I spotted this old railroad track in the creek at one point.
 At the Jonas Creek Trail, I turned around and backtracked.

 Back at Springhouse, I adjusted my boots and admired the butterflies for a short break.









When I reached Bear Creek Trail (2.4mi from the campground), I turned around again and hiked back to the Whiteoak Trail. (1.1mi)

 Back at Whiteoak, I took Whiteoak to Lakeshore.
 At Lakeshore, I took a left to head back toward the car.
 But instead of the direct route after 1.3mi, I took the Goldmine Loop trail (2mi).  This chimney was standing in a field of yellow wildflowers on the Loop.
 The trail dropped down to Fontana Lake.  The view was great.

Goldmine ends on the Tunnel Bypass trail which I took back to the car (0.4mi).  I then drove down to Noland Creek to pick up the bike.  Since I didn't feel to bad, I walked the 1 mile section of Noland Creek down to campsite 66.  The campsite was directly on the edge of the lake.   I was back at the car about 6:45.
I followed the GPS's advice and drove the Dragon to get home to avoid Gatlinburg traffic.  I'm not sure it was wise as it was dark and raining on most of it.  I didn't get home until about 9:40.

Long day, but enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment