Saturday, August 9, 2014

Road Prong - Chimney Tops

Date: 8/9/14
Distance: 8.8 miles
New Miles: 4.4
Total Miles: 459.5

The forecast wasn't good today with a threat of heavy rain and thunderstorms.  I opted to knock out the Chimney Tops and Road Prong trails as they were relatively short.

I parked at the Chimney Tops trail and headed down the trail at about 10:15.  The Chimney Tops trail is a favorite of visitors to the Smokies, so it is well used.  It has been undergoing maintenance and is only open on the weekends.  The trail starts by crossing the creek a few times before heading up hill.


As part of the renovation, lots of steps have been put in .

0.9 miles into the hike, I turned left on Road Prong and headed up the mountain.  The Road Prong trail starts out very rocky.  Today with the rain overnight the rocks were slippery in a few places.


The lower section of the trail hugs a creek with some nice cascades.

 Road Prong had some really nice wildflower areas.














At one point, the trail turned into a creek.  I was even a bit worried that I had lost the trail.  All of these photos are actually the trail.







 Up at the Clingmans Dome Road, the trail ends after 2.4 miles.  I was happy to find a nice grove of Blackberries next to the road, so I had a feast before heading back down the trail.


 Back at the Chimney Tops trail, I was greeted by more steps and a steep climb up to the Chimney tops.







I spent a good while up on the rocks eating lunch and enjoying the views.  Unfortunately it started raining while I was up on the rocks and I had to carefully work my way off of the wet rocks.  The rain was light and quit pretty quick, so I didn't need to get my rain jacket out.  I made it down safe and sound and headed back to the car arriving about 2:45.


No comments:

Post a Comment