Sunday, October 4, 2015

Kephart Prong - Sweat Heifer Creek - AT - Dry Sluice Gap - Grassy Branch

Date: 10/4/15
Distance: 14.3

We've had lots of rain this week and it continued on Saturday, so I hiked on Sunday this week.  On the drive over, Newfound Gap was fogged in and the rain started.  Fortunately it let up and quit by the time I was parked at Kephart.

Kephart is an easy 2 mile walk up the mountain.  The trail is very wide.  It must have been a road at some point.  As further evidence, this sign and a chimney or two is along the trail.
 The Creek was just roaring after the week of rain.  I was grateful that there was a bridge to cross.

 Today, I saw something that I've never seen in all of my days of hiking.  Up in the distance on this trail, I spotted a Coyote loping along.  I tried a photo, but it is impossible to tell that he is up the trail.  I followed for several tenths.  Each time a rounded a corner, I could see him up in the distance again.  Finally, I rounded a corner and saw him no more.
The 2 miles went quickly and I arrived at the shelter after about 40 minutes of hiking.  I paused long enough to switch from long pants to shorts and continued the hike on the Sweat Heifer Creek Trail.  

 Sweat Heifer is tough.  It climbs 2400' in 3.7 miles.  The trail was very scenic though.  One of the 1st sights is this roaring creek along the trail.
 There are a couple of stream crossings.  This one was difficult.  I got to the middle and got stuck.  I stood for a very long time on the rock trying to decide whether to take a very large step to a slippery rock.  Eventually I worked up my courage and went for it.  Luckily, I didn't slip and my old boots didn't leak too bad.
 This short video gives an idea of how fast the water was  running today.
 The 2nd crossing was at the base of a small waterfall.  It was much easier.


 The trail works its way up through the hardwood forest.  Eventually the hardwoods give way to an Evergreen forest.
 Finally reached the AT where I turned right and headed for Charlies Bunion.

 It was windy and cold up on the mountain.  It brought back memories of when I last hiked this trail in the winter.  I was as cold as I've ever been on that hike.  I eventually stopped and put on a jacket, but had taken it off again before I reached the Bunion.  The clouds lifted just before I arrived on the ridge, so the views were great.





Amazingly, I had the bunion to myself today.











 Just past the bunion, this awesome view presents itself.

 After 2.7 miles on the AT, I turned right on Dry Sluice Gap Trail.  This trail starts with a little climb.  This portion of the trail is cool, because you can look over to the backside of the bunion.




 If you pay attention, you can also see the Ice Water Springs Shelter over on the far mountain.
 After only 1.3 miles on Dry Sluice, it was time to head down Grassy Branch Trail.
Grassy Branch drops quickly and steadily down the mountain.  There is one more creek crossing on it.

 Grassy Branch ends right at the Kephart Shelter.  From there it is an easy 2 mile walk back to the car.

 This is a very enjoyable loop hike with lots of things to see along the way (creeks, waterfalls, big views).  It is a big workout due to the big climb.

No comments:

Post a Comment