Friday, December 7, 2012

Old Mac Trail - Frozen Head

Date: 12/1/12
Distance: ~8.5

Took my 1st hike in Frozen Head.  The Old Mac trail is a loop trail.  I went up on the "North" trail and returned on the "South".  I chose this direction as I wanted to be in the shade while climbing.  The hike has an elevation gain of approximately 1700 ft.  The north trail had nearly constant slope up the mountain.  I rarely stopped to rest as this rate of rise was reasonable.  The hike down was a bit steeper and a little rocky.

At the top of the North Trail, there is a "rock house".  I went down to check it out.  It is a large rock bluff with some camping space under the bluff.  It was worth the walk down.

On top of the mountain there is a fire tower that allows you to get above the trees and have a nice view.  I was surprised that the cell phone didn't work on the tower.  I was able to call home about 1/2 way down the mountain.


No comments:

Post a Comment