Friday, December 7, 2012

Chimney Top Trail - Frozen Head

Date: 12/7/12
Distance: ~8.5

After the nice experience last weekend, I took a day of vacation and hiked another trail at Frozen Head.  On this day, it was mostly cloudy.

The hike up to Chimney top was difficult.  The trail climbs up and over one ridge, before it starts up the primary mountain.  It felt like I went up 800ft and then down 800ft before going up 1800 ft.  Even though the final elevation gain was 1800ft, I probably climbed 3000.

The Chimney rock was impressive on top of the mountain.  I may have attempted to climb up on top, but since I was alone, I didn't risk it.

Once on top of the mountain, the trail continues along the ridge.  Several times it dipped off of the ridge to avoid another large rock outcropping, only to climb back up on the ridge just after.  On the mountain, I ended up in a cloud.  There were some large rain drops, but I mostly stayed dry.  It felt like a scene out of the Lord of the Rings.  I could only see 30' in front of me for most of the time on the ridge.

I returned on the Spicewood trail.  It was rocky at times, but a pretty smooth walk down.

Started about 9:00
Chimney top at 10:40
Started Spicewood at 12:00
Back to Car about 1:10

No comments:

Post a Comment