Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Chestnut Top Trail

Date:  12/18/12
Distance: 9 miles

The Chestnut Top Trail starts at the Townsend "Y".  The trail is across the street from the parking lot.  It was a nice day (clear, high near 60).  I started about 11:45, so it was still cool, but I resisted the urge to wear too many clothes.

The hike initially heads back towards Townsend while it ascends the good sized mountain that borders the road.  About the time you can see the 1st of the businesses in Townsend, it turns and heads in the opposite direction on the ridge.

Most of the hike is on the ridges of the mountains in the area.  Quite often there are nice views off each side of the trail.  The forest seems to be mostly pine trees, so I wonder if it doesn't have pretty good views year round.

Once I got to the ridge I had cell phone service, so it seems a pretty safe hike for hiking alone.  I passed several single hikers (mostly senior adults, both men and women).

At the end of the trail, I continued down a jeep road for an extra 0.2 miles to make it a nice round 9 miles.  Turns out there is a gravel road and a cabin there.

All in all a nice hike with a decent climb 1486' with some nice views.
Here are a couple of maps I copied from www.hikinginthesmokys.com.  It is a great place to scope out hikes.  I highly recommend it.
map
elevation
Start Time:  11:45
Turn Around:  1:25
Back to Car:  3:10

No comments:

Post a Comment