Sunday, April 10, 2016

Twentymile - Long Hungry Ridge - Gregory Bald - Wolf Ridge Trail

Date: 4/10/16
Distance: 15.7 miles

Today I made the long drive over to Twentymile to hike up to Gregory Bald.  The day started cold, but promised to warm up nicely.  I left the house with my long johns on, but when I got out of the car, I decided that they weren't necessary.  So, I was already removing layers before I even started.

I started on the Twentymile trail headed for Long Hungry Ridge.  Twentymile is mostly a gravel road that gradually climbs about 1000' over 3.1 miles.


 Long Hungry Ridge starts as a nice walk through the park.  It has very little elevation gain over the 1st mile or so.  Once you pass campsite 91, that changes as the trail heads steeply up the mountain gaining 2000' in only 2.5 miles.  The last mile is once again fairly level.  There are 2 or 3 creek crossings that I had to rock hop on this trail.



 I turned left onto Gregory Bald trail for the short hike over to Gregory Bald.  There was another 500' of climbing on this short section.  The views from Gregory Bald were just spectacular today.
























 I ate some lunch and hung out at the bald for a big before continuing on Gregory Bald toward Wolf Ridge Trail.  At Wolf Ridge, I turned left and headed for the car.  The trail was flanked by small white wildflowers on this section of the hike.




 About 0.8 miles down Wolf Ridge, you arrive at Parsons Bald.  Parson's has been allowed to grow back up, so there weren't any views.

Wolf Ridge loses all of the elevation which was gained over 6.3 miles.  The trail was in great shape and I hiked it pretty fast.  Down near the bottom of the trail, the trail hugs the creek which had a few exciting bridges.









No comments:

Post a Comment