Saturday, April 30, 2016

AT - Clingmans to Greenbrier Ridge

Date: 4/30/16
Distance: 21

Today I hiked the AT from Clingmans Dome over to Greenbrier Ridge and then back to Clingmans Dome.  I hit the trail about 8:20 heading up the paved dome trail for the 1st steep 0.5 miles.  The day was cloudy and rain was forecast for late in the day, so I didn't mess around and kept moving.  The views were really nice even with the cloud cover.





 I didn't even bother with the tower because I was there just 5 days ago.  I quickly turned left on the AT and headed down the mountain.   This section of the trail is very beautiful with lots of views.


Siler's Bald is about 5 miles from the Dome.  It is no long a grassy bald, but still obvious that it once was one.


There were still plenty of Spring Beauties.  They weren't quite as showy as last week, but still beautiful.
 

I also saw some Witch Hobble along the way.
 The hike out to Greenbrier was 10.5 miles.  It was mostly downhill, but did have several steep uphill sections.


 At this point, I turned around and returned to the car.  The climb was tiresome, but not as tiresome as last week when I had to climb it with a heavy pack.


No comments:

Post a Comment