Saturday, April 16, 2016

Lakeshore - Lost Cove - AT

Date: 4/16/16
Distance: 11.6

Today's hike was a spectacular loop hike in the Fontana area of the park.  I started the day early leaving the house about 6:40 and arriving at the Lakeshore Trailhead at Fontana about 8:30.  I was excited to see that the road over the Dam was open today as it has been closed.  I was expecting to  walk about 1 mile on the road to get to the trail.

The portion of the hike on Lakeshore is 5.2 miles long with several ups and downs.  It is close to the lake for most of the hike.

 There are 2 old cars along this trail to keep things interesting.



 After 5.2 miles I turned left on lost cove and the creek crossings started.  There were 7 or 8 good sized crossings in all.  I rock hopped most and found a log to walk on a few.




 I did manage to step into the creek once, so I had a damp sock for the 2nd half of the hike.  Once the creek crossings ended, the wildflowers showed up.







 All of the bits of white in this picture are Trillium blooms.

 Lost Cove is STEEP.  It has to be one of the steepest 2 miles in the park as it makes its way up to the AT.  At the AT, I turned left and hiked about 1/2 mile over to the Shuckstack Firetower.  The views were great today.














 After some lunch at the tower, I hustled the last 3.5 miles back to the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment