Friday, January 1, 2016

Middle Prong - Panther Creek - Miry Ridge - Lynn Camp Prong

Date: 1/1/16
Distance: 15 miles

I got the new year off to a good start with a nice "lollipop" hike in the Tremont area of the park.  This is the same hike that I did October 2013 except I hiked the loop in the opposite direction.
MiddlePantherMiryLynnCamp

This cascade is about .5 miles from the trailhead.




 I found the old car again off to the right of the trail just out of sight.

 With all of the rain last week, I wasn't able to rock hop the creek at the beginning of Panther Creek.  It was quite cold today and the water was a bit more than knee deep.
 Panther Creek climbed up the mountain very close to the creek for most of the trail.  The trail was a bit rocky and mushy in places.

At the Miry Ridge trail, the creek was left behind and some views started showing through the trees.

 The highest elevation (4700') is reached about 1 mile up Miry Ridge.  There is a spot that opens up to give some really nice views.



From the peak elevation, the rest of the hike is downhill (2nd half of Miry, Lynn Camp and Middle Prong).  I turned off of the Miry Ridge trail when it intersected the Lynn Camp Prong trail.

On Lynn Camp and Miry there were a few rock hop opportunities.
 As I lost elevation, I dropped back into the clouds giving a haunted forest effect.
 Lynn Camp hits Middle Prong after 3.7 miles.  Just 0.2 miles down Middle Prong, a small side trail goes over to Indian Flats falls.



 I crawled down through the Rhododendron to the third step of the falls.  It is actually 4 falls in succession.




It was about 4 miles from the falls back to the car.  Middle Prong is a gravel/rocky road, so the hiking isn't that great.  There are some old artifacts around to keep you entertained though.

 I like this hike because it has lots of variety:  Creek hiking, creek wading, old artifacts, some views, a big climb (3000'), and a nice Waterfall.  

No comments:

Post a Comment