Sunday, January 31, 2016

Gatlinburg Trail - Twin Creeks - Old Sugarlands

Date: 1/16/16
Distance: 9.8 miles

Today I didn't have much time, so I decided to mark off a few trails that are very close to Gatlinburg.  I started the day by parking at the Park Headquarters and taking off down the Gatlinburg trail.  This trail is more of a greenway than a trail.  It is wide and smooth.  The surface is finely crushed rock.  The trail is right next to the road (441) for most of its 1.9 miles.  It is also next to the creek, so it is pleasant.

At Gatlinburg, I cut through the parking lot up to the main drag and walked down the sidewalk to the traffic light where the Historic Motor Trail leaves to the right.  I turned up this road and continued my city hike up to the Twin Creeks Trail.  The city hike was about 2 miles.

Twin Creeks is much like the Gatlinburg trail.  It climbs up to the Bud Ogle Cabin over 1.9 miles.  It is more of a trail and even has a few small creek crossings.  It is right next to the road and a creek for most of its length.

The Twin Creeks Trail ends on the Bud Ogle nature trail.  You must turn left on it to get over to the cabin.

After checking out the cabin, I walked up the road to the Old Settlers trail.  It was a decent climb up the hill.  From the turn in the middle of Gatlinburg up to the Old Sugarlands, there is about 1200' of elevation gain.

I then took Old Sugarlands back to the car.  I hiked this trail just the week before.  It was a little odd to cover the same trail 2 weeks in a row.  This isn't a very exciting hike, but it is quick and easy and you do get to spend some time in the woods.


No comments:

Post a Comment