Sunday, May 17, 2015

Rich Mountain Loop - Crooked Arm Ridge - Indian Grave Gap

Date: 5/17/15
Distance: 8.7

Today at about 1:50, I decided that I wanted to hike.  A quick change of clothes and I was in the car headed for Cades Cove.  I parked at the last spot in the lot before the start of the loop road and hit the Rich Mountain Loop Trail about 3:10.

I followed Rich Mountain Loop for 0.5 miles before turning right on Crooked Arm Ridge.  The trail follows a small creek for a short distance, but pretty quickly leaves the valley and heads steeply up the mountain with a number of switchbacks along the way.  The Mountain Laurel was really nice today.



 After 2.2 miles, Crooked Arm comes to an end at the intersection with Scott Mountain and Indian Grave Gap.  I took Indian Grave Gap and continued my climb.  There was a big fat Toad right in the middle of the trail that made me jump when he jumped.  I think I jumped higher.

 Up on Indian Grave, there were a few views off each side of the ridge.  Off one side, you could see towards Towsend, while the other way you could see the cove.



After 2.6 miles on Indian Grave, I turned onto Rich Mountain Loop trail for a 3.4 mile walk down the mountain.  The trail was pretty steep losing about 1600' in only 2.5 miles.  It was a little rocky in a few spots where small streams crossed the trail, but for the most part it was a nice place to spend a Sunday.  I stopped for a few more flower pictures on the way down.




 About 1 miles from the finish, the trail comes out at one of the cabins in the cove.  It was full of tourists.  One kid was running around in only a diaper that looked like it was 2 or 3 days old.  I took a few photos before turning back into the woods and walking the final 1 mile to the car.


 It rained a bit on me on the way up the mountain, but it was a lovely day by the time I got back to the car.
 I was back at the car about 10 till 6:00.  It was a very enjoyable afternoon in the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment