Friday, October 17, 2014

Low Gap - AT - Mount Cammerer - AT - Lower Mount Cammerer

Date:  10/17/14
Distance: 16.5
New Map Miles: 14.4
Total Map Miles: 593.4

Today the weather was just incredible, so after a few hours at work, I drove over to Cosby to mark off some map miles.

I parked in the Hikers Parking Area and walked up the trail that leaves the parking area to Low Gap. Low Gap as always was a trudge up the mountain, but the weather was cool and I felt good.  At the AT, I turned left.  The elevation continued to rise, but there were some nice views and after a short distance, the trail leveled off and it was a nice high altitude hike over the Mt Cammerer.


At the Mt. Cammerer trail, I took a left and went out to the old fire tower.

The skies were clear and the views were awesome.















After a short visit at the top, I returned back down the Cammerer trail to the AT and took a left.


This 2.3 mile section of the AT had lots of elevation drop.  It was quite steep at times with a number of stairs built into the trail.  After 2.3 mi, I turned left on Lower Mount Cammerer trail for the final 7.4 miles to the car.

About 1.3 miles from the campground, there was a sign indicating an overlook was 200yds off of the trail.  I went up to check out the view and took a few photos.


I followed Lower Mt Cammerer all of the way to the campground and then turned back to get the 1 mile piece on the map that goes down to below the Hikers Parking Area.  The trail was labeled Horse Trail.  It was in pretty good shape.  There were a few creeks that I hop rocked.  At the end of the 1 mile, I came out on the road and walked back up to the car.  It was a great day for a hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment