Wednesday, October 1, 2014

AT (NFG to Snake Den) - Snake Den

Date:  10/1/14
Distance: 25 mi
New Map Miles: 9.7
Total Map Miles: 546.9

Today I linked up with the Wednesday Hiking group for a very long shuttle hike from NFG to Cosby.  We met very early (5:15) at Cosby and shuttled to NFG.  We started up the AT in the dark with headlights on at 6:50.  The night sky was awesome with stars shining bright.  When the sun came up the day was very beautiful as well.  This portion of the AT is very scenic with many nice overlooks on this very clear day.




About 4 miles up the trail, we went out on Charlies Bunion for a few photos.






 All along the ridge the views were just spectacular!




























Shortly before reaching Snake Den, I spotted the wreckage of an old plane crash.






After traveling 19.4 miles on the AT, we made the left turn onto Snake Den.

Snake Den is a hard climb down the mountain to Cosby.
Just to be anal about map marking, I hiked the short connector trail between Snake Den and Low Gap.  I also had to walk a few tents in the Cosby Campground to get back to my car in the Hikers Parking lot.
I finished about 4:15.

No comments:

Post a Comment