Monday, December 21, 2015

Chestnut Branch - AT from Lower Mt Cammerer to Davenport Gap

Date: 12/20/15
Distance: 7.5

Today I did some Christmas shopping, but by 11:30, I was ready to go hiking.  I arrived at the Big Creek Ranger station about 12:45, and headed up Chestnut Branch.  The trail was in really great shape as it climbed up the mountain beside the creek.  It gains about 1300' on the way to the AT.  There were a few views through the trees on the way.

After 2.1 miles, I arrived at the AT where I turned left hiking toward Mt Cammerer.


 The mile up to the Lower Mt Cammerer trail climbed a bit more (maybe 500').  It had some classic AT hiking along the ridge where you could catch a few views through the trees.
At the Lower Mt Cammerer trail, I turned around and followed the AT out of the park.  The Davenport Gap shelter is well hidden in this photo as the roof was covered with leaves.


After 2.8 miles on the AT the trail hits the Mt Sterling Road. The last time I did this short section of trail, I used my bike to shuttle between Davenport Gap and the ranger station, but today the forecast was for rain, so I decided to just walk it.  It was about 1.7 miles down the gravel road.

This hike didn't have any spectacular sites, but it was a nice walk in the woods and the rain held off to make it better.  This hike pushed me over 500 miles on my 2nd map.

No comments:

Post a Comment