Saturday, July 11, 2015

Meigs Creek

Date: 7/11/15
Distance: 7mi

On this Saturday, I only had a few hours, so I hiked the Meigs Creek Trail in and out.  Meigs Creek is famous for its large number of creek crossings, so while the hike was short, I did get some good rock hopping training.

The trail starts from the Sinks parking lot on the road between Townsend and Metcalf Bottoms.  The trail is 3.5 miles one way with about 1000' of climbing.  The trail begins with a nice view of the Sinks before you head up the mountain.
 

The 1st 1.4 miles of the trail goes up and over a 400' ridge which was a little steep 1st thing in the morning.  After hiking down the other side of the ridge, you arrive at the 1st creek crossing.
One this day, I was able to easily rock hop it.  It is useful to have hiking poles as the rocks were a little slippery.  There are 4 crossing is quick succession before you arrive at the waterfall.
 I just admired it from above for the trip up and continued on my way.

 After 9 crossings, I arrived at a very large tree.



 The brown book indicated that there were 18 crossings.  I hopped them all.   I can't believe the last 5 or 6 ever require water shoes, or boot removal.  I can imagine that the 1st 5 or 6 might require  wading if the water is high, but this is my 2nd time on the trail without having to wade.

 At the Lumber Creek Trail, I turned around and headed back.

Back at the waterfall, I took a shot from the top and a few from the bottom.











 After 3.5 miles up and then 3.5 miles back down, I got one more look at the Sinks before heading home.


Total hiking time was about 2:08.




No comments:

Post a Comment