Wednesday, April 22, 2015

West Prong - Bote Mountain

Date: 4/22/15
Distance: 8.4

One of the nice things about finishing the map is that there are so many hikes that I can go do now that I would have avoided previously as they wouldn't give me new miles.  Now that I'm need everything on the 2nd map, I have many options.  Today, I left work and drove straight to Tremont for a few miles.  I parked at the West Prong Trailhead and took off up the trail.

I passed several groups of kids that were probably staying at Tremont this week during the first 1/2 mile, but after that I was alone except for one group of horsemen.  West Prong leaves Tremont and climbs up and over a ridge before dropping back down to a creek at campsite 18.

The first mile or so had many wild iris flowers.

 As I made my way up to the ridge, the Yellow Trillium made an appearance.

 At 2.7 miles, the West Prong Trail comes to an end and there is a nice view waiting.


I headed up Bote Mountain to Finley Cane (0.3 mi) where I turned around and hiked back to West Prong.  At West Prong, I continued on Bote Mountain to the Laurel Creek Rd (1.2mi).  At the road, I backtracked once again taking Bote Mountain and the West Prong back to the car.

Bote Mountain is an old road and has a poor reputation, but this section of the trail is in good shape and is pretty pleasant as it follows a creek up the mountain.

Really nice way to spend an evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment