Saturday, January 10, 2015

AT - Fontana to Gregory Bald Trail

Date: 1/10/2015
Distance: 17.4
New Map Miles: 7.7
Total Map Miles: 753.4

Today started very cold (14F) with a long drive over to Fontana for a hike up the AT.  I had seen that the road over the Dam was closed, so I wasn't surprised to arrive and see the road blocked.  I put on 3 fleeces and headed out about 10:30.  I expect the temperature was up to at least 20 by the time I started.  The walk across the Dam seemed a little odd with the road closed.

 It was about 1 mile to the trail, which immediately started up the mountain with a steep climb.  About 3.5 miles up the trail is the Shuckstack fire tower.  All along the trail I could see the tower up on the ridge through the trees.  I tried several photos, but you can't see it.


 There was one spot on the trail with a great view not long before the tower.


After hiking about 3.5 miles and climbing 2000', I arrived at the tower.  It is about 60' tall and the views were great.


















After a few minutes at the tower, I headed back down the short access trail to the AT and continued up the mountain.  After passing the tower, the trail still climbs but has several downhill sections as well.  It was just a short walk to the Lost Cove Trail and from that intersection, another 3.1 miles up to the Gregory Bald Trail.



At the Gregory Bald Trail, I continued on the AT for another 0.9 miles.  One way that I can mark of the 6 miles between Russell Field and Gregory Bald is to come up the Russell Field Trail and hike the 6 miles to Gregory and then turn around to get back to the car.  This will be a long hike.  I though if I went ahead and hiked 1 mile that way, it would help when I do the next one.  I turned around at the old log in the photo below.  It is about 2.3 miles past Mollies Ridge Shelter.



Back at the Dam it was still sunny, but about 5:00.


 The trail was in really good shape, but the hike was tough with the big climb up the mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment