Saturday, December 20, 2014

Deep Creek Horse - Loop - Sunkota - Indian Creek - Deep Creek

Date: 12/20/14
Distance: 14.5
New Map Miles: 11.6
Total Map Miles: 713.4

Today's hike was an excellent loop hike in the Deep Creek area of the park.  It had a decent climb, some nice views, and three waterfalls.  It also had some crazy down and backs that only a map marker can appreciate.

The weather forecast for today had been 50% rain with snow at high elevations for most of the week, but by Friday it had improved slightly, so I decided to chance it and make the long drive to Deep Creek.  I left the house about 7:30 and was ready to hike at 10:00.  It was just misting by the time I started, so no rain gear was required.

I started by heading up the short access trail that leaves the Deep Creek Trail parking lot up to Juney Whank Falls.  Just a few tenths up the trail a sign was encountered that indicated the Horse Trail actually started 0.6 miles off to the left.  Being the anal map marker that I am, I turned left and hiked the horse trail down to the Noland Divide Trail.  At that point I turned around and backtracked.  The Horse Trail was in good shape, it worked its way up by Juney Whank Falls and then continued on up.  Just behind the falls, the trail turns right.  It is big and wide.  I don't know why I took the smaller trail to the left, but after a few tenths of a mile I decided that I was lost and I turned back and followed the wide trail.  The Horse trail meets up with Deep Creek after 2 miles.

Deep Creek is nearly flat from the parking lot to that location, but the Horse trail goes up and over a ridge. Deep Creek is a gravel road on this section.
 After 1 mile on Deep Creek and just after you cross this bridge, it is time to turn right on the Loop Trail.

The Loop Trail is a 1 mile trail that is bisected by Sunkota and ends at Indian Creek.  I hike the entire 1 mile to Indian Creek and then backtracked once again to the Sunkota Trail.  It does have a nice climb up to Sunkota and then a drop in elevation down to Indian Creek.  I was dreading the walk back up all of the way down to Indian Creek, but a Map Marker has to do what a Map Marker has to do.



Sunkota was an awesome trail that follows a ridge up the mountain.  Nearly all of the trail is on the ridge or just off of it.  It does have a 1700' climb over the 1st 3 miles with some of that elevation lost over the next 0.8.  The trail surface was great with few rocks and no muddy spots to speak of.

 A mile or so into this leg of the trail, I hiked into the clouds which made things a little eerie.  Had it been sunny, I imagine there are some nice views off both sides of the trail through the trees.  In the summer, I doubt there are many views.


At one point, I looked up and spotted a buck standing in the trail. I expected him to run as I approached.


 I kept getting closer, but he wasn't moving.  I was much closer than the pictures imply.  Those antlers looked pretty intimidating.





Finally after I watched him for a couple of minutes from behind a tree, I made some noise and banged my sticks together.  He didn't budge, so I waited a little longer.  Finally after another minute or 2, he ambled off to the side and I scurried on by.


After 3.8 miles on Sunkota, I reached Martins Gap Trail.  This trail also connects Deep Creek to Indian Creek and is bisected by Sunkota.  I had previously hiked the section from Deep Creek to Sunkota, so today I just turned right to hike the leg toward Indian Creek.


Martins was in poorer condition than Sunkota.  It was rocky in places and muddy in others.  The Log bridge left something to be desired as well.

 After 1.5 miles, I reached Indian Creek.  Where Martins hits Indian Creek, Indian Creek has a loop which makes you wonder which way you should go, but it is just a turnaround and either will work.

Indian Creek is also a gravel road, so the hiking wasn't very exciting.

There is a nice cascade down near where the trail hits Deep Creek.







On down Deep Creek a waterfall (Toms Branch) pours into Deep Creek.


To finish off the day, I turned right on the Juney Whank Trail to go by that waterfall on the way out.









No comments:

Post a Comment