Friday, May 9, 2014

Middle Prong - Greenbrier Ridge - AT - Miry Ridge - Lynn Camp Prong - Middle Prong

Date: 5/9/14
Distance: 21.2 miles

The weather forecast for the weekend wasn't great, so I took a Friday off of work and went hiking.  The hike started at the end of the road in Tremont on the Middle Prong Trail.  I hiked this trail previously in October 2013.  Middle Prong is littered with old artifacts and ends with a nice waterfall. The trail is 4.1 miles long and gains about 1300'.  The climb is steady, but not overly difficult.






Not far after the falls, the Greenbrier Ridge trail heads off to the right.  The trail is 4.2 miles up to the AT with a climb of 1900'.  I had read that there was at least 1 stream crossing the might require de-booting, but the creek was low and I was able to easily rock hop it.
There were still some wildflowers about up at the higher elevations


There were some scenic vistas, but you had to look through the trees.




 At the AT, I made the decision to not turn back, but to turn left on the AT and go down to Miry Ridge for the trip down.




 Surprisingly, I ran into some friends from Church at the AT - Miry intersection.  After a quick lunch, I hiked with them for a mile or 2 before picking up speed to get out of the mountains as rain was scheduled to arrive in the afternoon.

At Lynn Camp Prong, I turned left on Lynn Camp and went back to Middle Prong for the hike out.

 I think this was probably the longest hike I've taken.  The Climb wasn't too shabby either.  I left the car about 8:20 and was back at the car at 3:30, almost 3 mph including breaks.  On the drive out of Tremont, the rain started, so I was glad I hustled on the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment