Saturday, February 6, 2016

Cataloochee Double hike Day (Pretty Hollow - Palmer Creek) (Big Fork Ridge - Caldwell Fork - Rough Fork)

Date: 2/6/16
Distance: 19 Miles

Today I bundled two hikes into one day in order to mark off the remaining Cataloochee trails.

Hike 1:
I started the day on Pretty Hollow Trail after a long drive over to Cataloochee.  The 1.6 miles to Palmer Creek passed quickly on the gravel road/trail.  Palmer climbs up the the Balsam Mt. Rd. in a distance of 3.3 miles.  The total climb from the car to the road was about 1800'.  The only real excitement was a creek crossing that was about 1/2 way up Palmer.  On the way up, I managed to jump across, but the rocks were very slippery and I nearly went in.

At the road, I turned around to retrace my steps to the car.


 There were a few views through the trees, but nothing special.




 This is the creek crossing.  On the way back down, I tossed a few branches in the creek to step on, but it felt too risky.  Eventually, I just took off the boots and waded.  The distance was short but the water was COLD!  My feet were aching even though I was just in for a minute or less.

 Hike #1 was 9.8 miles and it took about 3:15 minutes to complete.
Back at the car, I had some lunch and then drove to the end of the Cataloochee road where the Big Fork Trailhead was located.
Hike #2:
I repacked my pack and started up the Big Fork Ridge trail at 12:40.  Big Fork Ridge climbs about 800' and then loses 600' over its 3.2 miles.  The trail was in great shape other than several trees laying across the trail at regular intervals.

 At Caldwell Fork, I turned right to hike the 3.1 miles over to Rough Fork.

I stopped for a few photos at the Big Poplar.



 Caldwell Fork climbed about 1000' before it terminated at Rough Fork.  I turned right on Rough Fork for the 2.9 mile walk back to the car.  Rough Fork drops steeply down the mountain for the 1st couple of miles and then the trail turns into a gravel road and is much less steep for the last portion to the car.  The Woody House was 1 mile from the end of the trail.
 This cool ice curtain was hanging over the creek next to Rough Fork.



Hike #2 was 9.2 miles and took 3:15 to complete.
 There were lots of Elk grazing this afternoon in the valley.













No comments:

Post a Comment