Monday, June 8, 2015

Fireflies at Elkmont - Day 1 (Meigs Mountain - Lumber Ridge)

Date: 6/5/15
Distance: 10.8 miles

This weekend was the annual Fireflies at Elkmont camping event for the GSHAG Meetup group.  This was my 1st time to attend.  I arrived about noon on Friday to do a little hiking before my night in the woods.  On this day I hiked solo from Elkmont to Tremont along the Meigs Mountain and Lumber Ridge trails.

I started from the Jakes Creek parking lot about noon on a very sunny and pretty warm day.  Jakes Creek is an old road with a bit of a climb, but at 0.7 miles, Meigs Mountain leaves off to the right.  Meigs Mountain is a classic single track trail.  It was pretty easy hiking with some nice surprises along the way.  The 1st was a very scenic creek crossing.
 A few Flame Azaleas made appearances a bit further.

 A small trail off to the side leads to a cemetery.

Once up on the mountain, there were also a few views.


 I believe this flower is called Goats Rue.






 Meigs Mountain is 6 miles in length.  At that point, I took Lumber Ridge for another 4 miles into Tremont.

Not much climbing was required for this hike, so it was a nice way to spend a Friday Afternoon.  It is getting to be summer and all of the plants are starting to encroach on the trail.
 My awesome wife picked me up at Tremont and we went to Trailhead Restaurant for a nice Trout (me) and Steak (her) dinner.

After Dinner, we headed to Elkmont and retrieved my car and setup camp.  I tried out the Hammock for the 1st time and Stephanie was a trooper spending the night in my tiny backpacking tent.   We hiked up to the Little River Trail to watch the fireflies.  They started doing their thing about 9:30.  It was very cool.  I had imagined that synchronous fireflies meant that they all lit up at the same time.  What actually happens is they all went dark for a long interval, maybe 15 seconds, then they all start blinking like mad for about 30 seconds.

I slept a little in my Hammock.  Probably about the same as in the tent, so maybe it will work.  I don't think I was quite as stiff as when I sleep on the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment