Monday, February 2, 2015

Honey Creek Loop - Pickett State Park

Date: 1/31/15 - 2/1/15
Distance: ~10 mi over 2 days

This weekend I hiked and camped with the "Louisville Crowd". Angel, Todd, Rob, Jeanie, Justin, Stephanie, Gary and Denise made the weekend really enjoyable.
They all camped at the Pickett State Park campground on Friday night, but I drove up Saturday Morning.  It was really cold (16F), so I was glad I didn't camp on Friday night.  We drove about 1 hour to get to the Honey Creek Loop Trail.

At the parking area, we weren't positive which way to go, In the end, we opted to circle the loop in a counter clockwise direction.  The trail itself was really fun.  It had a nice mix of walking through the woods, challenging bolder scrambling, ladder climbing, water falls, creek walking, cave exploring and scenic views.  My phone camera didn't work well for some reason.  All the pictures were blurry, so no photos worth posting.

The trail is about 5.6 miles, although we backtracked after going up to the overlook, so maybe we did a bit more than 6.  It really was an explorers dream.  I wondered off the trail and crawled around in caves, pushed through the brush to get good looks at one of the many waterfalls, and climbed up on some huge boulders, so I got a work out even with the short distance.

I camped on Sunday and wasn't too cold.  The temperatures were in the low thirties and I had 2 sleeping bags.  I didn't sleep much, so I felt horrible on Sunday afternoon.

On Sunday morning, we hiked the trails in Pickett near the campground (Indian Rock House, and Hazard Cave and around to the Natural Bridge as a loop).  Probably only about 3 or 4 miles, but the sights were really cool.



No comments:

Post a Comment