Thursday, July 3, 2014

Forney Ridge - Springhouse Branch - Noland Creek - Noland Divide

Date: 7/3/14
Distance: 18.5
New Map Miles: 12.4
Total Map Miles: 424.9

Today's hike started from the Clingmans Dome parking lot.  There were a few clouds, but the views were still great.


I headed down the Forney Ridge Trail for the 1st 5.6 miles.  On the map, the trail said 4.5 miles, so I was a little surprised to find the extra 1.1 miles.  In a few spots, there were some nice balance beams.



1.8 miles into the trip, I arrived at Andrews Bald.  The azaleas were past their prime, but the view was great.  The trail immediately became less maintained and the hiking was a little difficult.  After a couple of miles, the trail improved and the hiking was nice. 


At 5.6 miles, I took a left on Springhouse Branch trail.  



On Springhouse, I came across a wild hog standing in the trail.  We stared at each other for about 5 seconds before he turned around and went the other way.  I continued on and in a few minutes, I heard him down below me headed back to were we 1st met.

The trail started out pretty good, but shortly after I passed 4 horsemen, it got worse.  The trail was a little torn up and there were several places that the trail turned into a creek.

Near the end of Springhouse, I spotted this rock wall beside the trail.


At the end of Springhouse, the downhill part of the hike was over.  I started at 6300' and at the end of Springhouse the elevation was only 2500'.

Noland Creek as the name implies follows a creek up the mountain.  The 1st few stream crossings had some old looking log bridges.


The creek was a nice companion for the hike.



The trail looked to be an old road.



There were 3 big stream crossings which didn't have bridges.  The 1st one (shown below) required me to deboot.  It was cold even in June.  It was a nice chance to wash off a bit and relax.

The next 2 I managed to hop rock, but it took some effort to find a good spot.

 By the time I reached Noland Divide, the trail had turned into the classic single track trail.


The hike up to the Dome road was a tough climb after a long day.  Once out on the road, it was a 1.3 mile walk to the car.  Back at the car, the views were still spectacular.





No comments:

Post a Comment