Sunday, June 1, 2014

Mt. Collins to Clingmans Dome on the AT

Date: 6/1/14
Distance: 8.5 miles
New Map Miles: 4
Total Map Miles: 398.9

I got a late start today, so I decided to pick up a short segment on my map along the AT between the Mt Collins Shelter and Clingmans Dome.  I also had never hiked the Clingmans Dome Bypass trail, so I hiked that as well.

I didn't leave the house until 1:40, so it was about 3:30 when I arrived at the parking area where the Fork Ridge Trail hits the Climgmans Dome Road.  It was very foggy and it looked as if it had rained earlier in the day as the trail was pretty mushy with lots of standing water.


The trail began with a short climb of about 300', but all of that altitude and more was lost before the main climb began.  The main climb was about 1000'.  The trail was rocky in places and it was difficult to make good time.  About 1.5 hours into the hike, I reached the Clingmans Dome Tower.  The distance was about 3.7 miles.

The tower was fogged in, so there weren't many views.



I headed down the AT toward Fontana to find the Bypass trail.  It was a few tenths away from the tower.



The bypass trail dropped 400' and then there was a bit of a climb up to the parking lot at the end.

I dropped into the gift shop and finally purchased the little brown trail book.  I've been thinking that I should buy it, but just haven't had the chance.

I returned to the tower by going up the paved tower trail and then returning to Mt. Collins the way I came.  The rocky parts seemed a bit more treacherous in the downhill direction.


Made it back to the car a bit before 7:00 and got home about 9:00.


No comments:

Post a Comment