Monday, April 14, 2014

Low Gap - Camel Gap - AT Loop

Date: 4/14/14
Distance: approx 16

Today Gabe and I hiked a loop hike out of the Cosby Campground.  We started the day by hiking up Low Gap to the AT.  This was 2.5 mile trudge up the mountain with an elevation gain of about 2000'.  The trail was rocky in places, and very pleasant in others.  I was puffing before I got to the top.

Once we reached the AT, we continued on Low Gap down the other side of the mountain.  At the bottom we hit the Big Creek trail for about 0.5 miles before it turned into Camel Gap.  Camel Gap was a tough climb up the mountain with a gain of 2000'.  I learned a valuable lesson about drinking electrolytes earlier in the hike on hot sunny days.  By the time I reached the AT, my calves were trying to cramp up.  Luckily I had a Gatorade in my bag.  I limped along on the AT climbing another few hundred feet and then back down to Low Gap.  Fortunately the electrolytes kicked in before I started down Low Gap to get back to Cosby.

On this day we saw 4 snakes.  3 of them were right in the middle of the trail.  Who knows how many we didn't see.












No comments:

Post a Comment