Sunday, March 8, 2015

Cucumber Gap - Little River

Date: 3/8/15
Distance: 13.4

Today was just beautiful, and I wasn't up for sitting around, so I headed over to Elkmont to hike a few miles.  I started up Jakes Creek, but turned on Cucumber Gap just 0.6 miles up the trail.  Cucumber gap goes up and over a ridge (500' climb) before landing at the Little River Trail after 2.4 miles.  On Little River, I turned right and hiked to the end of the trail which terminates at Campsite 30.  The total distance was 7 miles.  At that time I turned around and hiked Little River back to Elkmont.

Cucumber Gap is a classic single track trail.  It had a few stream crossings.  One of them required some effort, but mostly they were easy rock hops.

Little River has some very difficult crossings on the last mile before reaching the campsite.

Saw this doe along Little River.  It seemed pretty brave, but eventually she took off huffing as I approached.


 Had to walk this log to cross one of the creeks.






No comments:

Post a Comment